daily inspirations

Saturday, June 5, 2010

the sun gods of la jolla eat good mexican food


there is absolutely nothing more stunning or beautiful than a california sunset. especially one down by la jolla. this little seaside town is anything short of a relaxing and well needed escape; i personally believe that newport does not even compare. actually let me rephrase that, its just a completely different feel. I am starting to really believe that the west coast truly is the best coast (sorry to all those east coasters out there). maybe its something in the air? the breeze? the smell? maybe it is just everything about this place that continually surprises me with new adventures everyday.

after coming back from the risd, finishing up an intense freshman foundation year, I have come to realize how much I appreciate home. especially my friends whom I have known for almost my entire life; you probably cannot even imagine how excited I was when I traveled down to san diego with jeff and jonathan; my two close buddies from high school whom I love to death. we stayed two nights in jonathan’s dorm room (which was definitely an interesting experience seeing that it was an entirely all boys suite… but the boys were more than hospitable and chill)

the first day, we drove down to la jolla, dropped by ucsd and got the grand tour from jonathan; it was interesting seeing the sphere of his college life; sometimes I wonder what it would have been like if I had chose to attend a regular university instead of an art school. i always ponder how the environment would have shaped me or the different kinds of people I would meet..

so we left for la jolla, approximately 10 minutes away, and soaked in the sun and the beach, and even had the chance to go down to the tide pools. as jeff attempted to catch the little crabs that scurried across the rocks, jonathan and i lightly felt the sticky tentacles of the sea anemones; we even saw a mass of sea lions that basked in the sun. the salty air permeated our skins, and the light breeze only excited us... being by the pacific was such so soothing...

all that sea side exploration made us ravenous, and i knew just the place that would satiate all hunger needs: ALFONSO! i recall going there twice before, and it has never disappointed me; their huge portions were more than enough to fill us up. as an appetizer, we all unanimously agreed to share the nachos (your typical mexican dish with nachos, cheese, guacamole, salsa, sour cream, beans.. you get the idea)... jonathan and jeff, both ordered fish burritos (that does not surprise me), while i chose to get the vegetarian burrito. i must be honest, it was a little more greasy than i had previously remembered, but overall, i enjoyed the meal. beware if you are trying to avoid the calorie monster, i would avoid this place, but otherwise, eat to your heart's content.

after the meal, we enjoyed a nice stroll throughout the rest of la jolla, stopped by a local gelaterie, and headed back to ucsd to start the debaucheries. :)

oh and did i mention that jeff and i went to sea world the next day?


SHAMU!!


www.alfonsosoflajolla.com

No comments:

Post a Comment